Archaeology, Cultural Objects
1851 Courthouse Bricks
Associated Person: Henry Dillon
PlacesFloyd (Courthouse District)
- Length: 7 1/2 inches
- Width: 3 1/2 inches
- Height: 3 inches
Bricks formed from local clay and thought to have been fired in an updraft kiln near the courthouse site. Bits of quartzite are evident in some of the bricks. It is possible some of the bricks may have been reused from the first courthouse built on the same location in 1832.
KeywordsBrick, Jacksonville Courthouse, courthouse, Town of Floyd, brickyard, brick mason
Henry Baycot Dillon (1808-1886) was born in Ireland but lived in Floyd County for much of his adult life. He married Harriet Helms in 1834 and built their home (at 209 W. Main Street), later known as “Boxwood Gardens,” in 1851, the same year he completed the new courthouse. Other Henry Dillon buildings still standing in town include Glenanna (204 W. Main Street), and the old Jacksonville Presbyterian Church (215 E. Main Street) for which Old Church Gallery is named.
This postcard image shows the courthouse with its Greek Revival style recessed entry. Henry Dillon used a Flemish bond brick course on the facade. The 1851 courthouse was razed to make way for the current building which was dedicated in 1951.