Coverlets, Cultural Objects
Woven Blanket (red stripes)
PeopleAssociated Person: Minnie Hylton Conner
- Colors: natural wool with red stripes
- Dimensions: 83 to 83 1/2 x 57 1/2 inches
- Pattern: six narrow stripes (1/4 to 3/8 inches wide) woven on each end
- Panels: two (29 1/4, 28 1/4 inches wide) joined with machine-stitching, hemming also done by machine
- Repairs: large hole neatly patched with pink cotton sheeting
This well-worn blanket has been repaired with skillful machine-patching. It has a simple design of six red stripes at the top and bottom.
Keywordsblanket, wool, linen
Minnie Elizabeth Hylton Conner Burwell (1893-1974) was the daughter of Solomon and Nannie Bird Hylton. She married Martin Thomas Conner in 1911, then Arthur Howard Burwell in 1943.
Several coverlets and blankets belonging to her sister Odessa Hylton Helms are included in this collection.
An interview with Minnie’s daughter Arva Conner Coleman is part of the Old Church Gallery oral history collection.